« Home | kiss of midnight news . . . » | thursday thirteen #5 . . . » | a pound of flesh . . . » | just stuff . . . » | i broke my email . . . » | book club sales . . . » | thursday thirteen #4 . . . » | new book euphoria . . . » | joy of reading #1: surviving demon island » | catching up . . . »

Tegan on the brain . . .

I woke up this morning around 3AM, my head spinning with scenes and dialogue for my current book, Number 3 in the Midnight Breed series. Since it's untitled for now, I'm just calling Tegan's Book. He's the dark sheep of the group, the one you probably shouldn't completely trust, even though he's golden, gorgeous, and flawlessly perfect in his violence against his enemies. Oh, and he's slightly psychotic. Naturally, I adore him. :)

This week I hope to have my proposal (outline and three chapters) completed and ready to send off to my editor. After mulling over the story this past weekend and working on character/conflict stuff, I think this book may end up being the most emotional, most sensual entry in the series so far. That's generally my goal whenever I sit down to write a new book--to make this one "more" than the one that came before it. Achieving that goal is the tricky part.

Now I'm off to google images of Gabriel Aubrey for my character file. God, I love research!

What are you working on this week?

Tegan? Did someone say Tegan? *ears perk up*

That dragon story.

I'm playing with it, using the Conflict Box Jenny Crusie talked about in the Workshop blog. I've no idea whether my Conflict Box looks right or not. It's all rather abstract to me. Sigh.

This plotting thing will kill me.

Heh, heh. Yup. Tegan. :)

I'm glad you're working on the dragon story! WTF is a Conflict Box? It sounds painful.

Clicky here to read about the Conflict Box.

It actually does make sense. I can see how it can, if properly used, show you the way to escalating conflict. I'm just not getting the hang of applying it--I think that's how you know you're not yet a plotter. LOL.

I love it when I wake up with dialogue and scenes on the brain. Generally means the story is heading in the right direction, aspects are clicking. A very good sign indeed! Teagan's book sound scrumptious, btw. :) Good luck on nailing the proposal this week!

So how'd you make out googling your images? As I see my stories in my head like movies, I always cast my characters. My 'Evie' series stars Meg Ryan as Evie Parish, Gerard Butler as Arch Duvall, and George Clooney as Milo Beckett. Yum. ;) Oh, and this week I'm working on book two in that series. You know my 'story'. LOL

mmmm Tegan. *grin*

And I love when characters possess me. That has to be so much fun for you to play with something new!

I'd really love to really dig into the proposal for the next demon hunters book, but right now I'm straddling a book on deadline and the proposal at the same time. So not working for me. Not a multitasker. lol

I'm in the throes of Fast Draft, trying to get the first draft of the urban fantasy finished before I go on vacation next month. I think it'll happen. I have about a hundred and thirty pages to go. Normally the closer to the end I get the faster the writing becomes. Here's hoping. :) Can't wait for your first book to come out. :D

May -- I checked out the Conflict Box article. Um, yikes. "Fiendishly simple?" they say? Then why is my brain bleeding?! Now, I'm a detailed plotter and happy to be that way, but that grid thing is just too analytical for me! I guess I tend to rely more on storyteller's gut instinct than graphs and grids. ::shrug::

Beth -- I love waking up with book details in mind, too, but perhaps just not quite as early as today! I love your character lineup for ALL ABOUT EVIE! (Is it okay if I picture Meg Ryan pre-collagen injections? ;->)

Jaci -- Thanks! And yeah, Tegan. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. :) Good luck with your double deadlines! You can do it, I have no doubt!

Jordan -- I have to hear more about Fast Draft! I keep meaning to mine through your blog archives to see where you first talk about it because it sounds very interesting. Good luck with your pre-vaca deadline! It does go a lot faster as you near the finish. Thanks for the kind words about my book.

Racy -- Congratulations on release day!! I've been eyeing your Ninja book for a long time at your blog, so I will have to pick it up. LOL on your #2. It happens like that sometimes, doesn't it? WTG on your debut tomorrow!

I LOVE TEGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm working on Jake stuff, when my brain cooperates :)

Now, I'm a detailed plotter and happy to be that way, but that grid thing is just too analytical for me! I guess I tend to rely more on storyteller's gut instinct than graphs and grids.

Lara, I think that's why I'm struggling with it.

I'm basically using the throw everything at the wall and see whether it sticks approach. I'm not thinking, "it's not working because of this, therefore this needs fixing."

I've a feeling that even if you can't get it to work for you before you actually write it, the conflict box will come in pretty handy as a sort checklist thing to do after the first draft before revisions.

Post a Comment
Kiss of Midnight

About me

  • Hey. Lara here, currently spending time on the dark side, writing a sexy vampire series for Bantam/Dell. Stay tuned for news on KISS OF MIDNIGHT, KISS OF CRIMSON, and the rest of the Midnight Breed!
My profile

SIGN UP FOR LARA'S
PRIVATE NEWSLETTER!
E-mail address:
Full Name: