« Home | catching up . . . » | goodbye 2006 . . . » | thursday thirteen #3 . . . » | sayonara, page proofs . . . » | holiday wishes . . . » | Thursday Thirteen #2 » | kiss of midnight . . . » | all chilled out now . . . » | i heart my editor . . . » | hump day happy place . . . »

joy of reading #1: surviving demon island

Although I'm not a book reviewer, and I don't get paid to recommend books, I do love reading and talking about reading. So, since there's a good chance I'll make this "joy of reading" a semi-regular feature on my blog, I've given this entry a number. Here's a peek at what I've enjoyed recently:

Surviving Demon Island
Surviving Demon Island
by Jaci Burton
Dell Books


I introduced myself to Jaci last summer by shamelessly begging an ARC of her debut title with Bantam Dell. I'd heard about her sale through one of the industry lists (Publishers Lunch?) and when I read the premise of Surviving Demon Island I got one of those instant "Oh, hell yeah!" feelings that authors (and readers, no doubt) tend to get when they see an idea that just *must* become a book. I mean, who can resist the premise of LOST meets SURVIVOR . . . with demons!

Surviving Demon Island opens fast and holds you tight. It's crisp, wry, and fun. That would have been enough to keep me turning pages, but Jaci also mixes in a fabulously strong (but not abrasive) heroine in Gina Bliss and a sexy, seen-and-done-it-all hero in Derek Marks. There is a host of interesting secondary characters, some tense action scenes, and a wrenching loss of one of the team members that serves to remind you just what the good guys are up against. But amid all of this story texture, Jaci never loses focus on the romance and the building sexual tension between her two protagonists. The love scenes are hot, and the ending leaves the door wide open for the sequel, which I for one, cannot wait to get my hands on. (Seriously, Jaci. ARC? Please?)

Favorite line from Surviving Demon Island: It's more than one line actually, and although it comes at the close of the book, I don't think it really spoils anything to include it here. For me, this passage summed up the story perfectly, and left me smiling and ready for more.

Turned out part of her really was Gina Bliss. Maybe the scared little girl from all those years ago was finally gone. She'd definitely proved she could fight creatures from the depths of hell and live through it, could face death and darkness and not cower or run in fear.

She'd even faced love, and the possibility of losing love, and come through it unscathed. She'd found someone to love her back despite all her faults.

If she could do that, she could do anything.

Bring on the demons.


You can read an excerpt of the book at Jaci's website, and find links for purchasing online. Watch for Hunting The Demon next fall! Congrats to Jaci on a fabulous mass market debut.

Have you already read Surviving Demon Island? Tell me what you think!

I want to read SDI, but I've not gotten my hands on a copy yet. Grrrr...

Oh, I wanted to tell you, once I get Jo Leigh's questions out of the way, I'll send you yours. Before the end of the month, I promise!

May, I think you'll love SDI!

Thanks for the heads-up on interview questions. I'll watch for them. I owe you email, too. I have to run a bunch of errands today, but when I get back I'll be in touch.... :)

oh sure. make me get all weepy in my cornflakes today.

*g*

Thank you darlin. You are too good to me. This was beautiful.

I haven't read it yet, but, jeez after that review, I sure do want to! Yowza!

Jaci -- Sorry about the soggy cornflakes. I notice you're avoiding my not so subtle beg for the next book . . . ;-P

Beth -- It's a great book! Go, buy, read. You'll thank me later. :)

Post a Comment
Kiss of Midnight

About me

  • Hey. Lara here, currently spending time on the dark side, writing a sexy vampire series for Bantam/Dell. Stay tuned for news on KISS OF MIDNIGHT, KISS OF CRIMSON, and the rest of the Midnight Breed!
My profile

SIGN UP FOR LARA'S
PRIVATE NEWSLETTER!
E-mail address:
Full Name: