« Home | goodbye 2006 . . . » | thursday thirteen #3 . . . » | sayonara, page proofs . . . » | holiday wishes . . . » | Thursday Thirteen #2 » | kiss of midnight . . . » | all chilled out now . . . » | i heart my editor . . . » | hump day happy place . . . » | ho, ho, ho . . . »

catching up . . .

I'm happy to report that the revisions for KISS OF CRIMSON are several days out of my hair, and now that monkey belongs to my editor. Hopefully it all still makes sense and doesn't suck. There's a lot I like about KOC, but, as with any book, there's a lot I would like to improve if only I could have another week, month, year . . . infinity. I'm sure I would polish a book from now till Armageddon if my publisher would let me. Nothing's ever *really* done in my mind.

Which leads me to the next topic: 5 Crazy Things About Me. Jaci tagged me today--on a weekend, no less!--so I feel compelled to play along. Not to mention this is my virgin tagging. ::blush::

Crazy Thing #1. I cannot STAND broken spines on paperback books. If you looked at my bookshelves, you'd have no idea which ones were brand new, fresh from the store, or already read. I love a crisp, intact spine. Even though I will occasionally buy a used paperback, I prefer that "new book" feel. I've even trained my husband to read without creasing spines, and he was one of the worst offenders I'd ever known.

Crazy Thing #2. Also book related. Nine times out of ten, I will read the end of a book (at least a chapter, maybe more) before I begin reading for real. This habit started when I was first trying to learn about writing. I felt it far more helpful to know the final outcome of a story so I could see the author's hints and red herrings along the way. Now it's a compulsion I have no hope of breaking.

Crazy Thing #3. My house, and my office in particular, may be disorganized (okay, cluttered!) at times, but my car is always immaculate--no junk or food on the floors or the seat. The hub is the same way. In fact, we generally lease our vehicles for 3 years at a time and always get "Wow, this car still smells new!" type of remarks from the dealers. Messy cars kind of gross me out.

Crazy Thing #4. I won't spend money on department store or designer makeup, but I love expensive perfume, which I don't get much chance to wear, since neither the cat or the UPS man would give a rat's. Let's face it, it's a good day if I shower and get out of PJs.

Crazy Thing #5. I don't like flowers, and I'm not very wild about jewelry, either. Diamonds, yes. Costume? Nope, I'd rather wear nothing. (Caveat: Debbie if you're reading this, I really do love the beaded choker you got me for my bday--swear!) As far as gifts go, I'd much rather have books, electronics, or nice dinners out.

Wow. I thought it would be hard to name five whole things, but I've actually got a bunch more! I'll spare you all my continued neuroses and share the Crazy love instead. I'm tagging May, Beth Ciotta, and Meljean Brook.

most happy to have popped your tagging cherry, darlin *g*

And you'd hate my car...though it is less messy than my house.

And I hear you on the jammies and shower thing. In fact it's 1 p.m. here and I'm still in my pajamas and haven't combed my hair yet. *snort*

Great answers. Nice to see you're as odd as me...lol

Tagged! Ahhhhh! :D

My car is awful. I don't wear jewelry at all (even my wedding ring is in a box somewhere).

LOL, Jaci! It only seems right that I give it up to you... :-P

Jaci *AND* Meljean -- Both of you with the messy cars?! ::shakes head in dismay::

Meljean, I only wear my wedding ring when I leave the house. If I forget it then, I feel naked.

I always tag the same people, and I'm terribly afraid that my CPs will murder me. LOL.

I don't mine if spines are cracked, but if I bought the book new, I make it a point not to crack them. Though even my keepers don't have cracked spines.

I'm not so good with not cracking spines. I hate trying to peer down to the back of the book as I often read in bed with just a small light on so as not to wake dh. If I don't flatten the book how can I read the whole thing! LOL I am trying to be more careful though.

My car is a mess but I have three children under 7 so it is hard not to. I try but mostly I give up. I don't like costume jewellery either. In fact, I only like the jewellery I already wear and when given new stuff (my Mom gave me a ring for Christmas that was real and nice but...) I have no idea what to do with it.

May -- I knew I liked you! We share so many quirks. :)

Michelle -- Well, I definitely cut a whole lotta slack for moms when it comes to messy cars. If I had one kid, let alone three, my car would likely be a disaster. Assuming I would be of sound enough mind to even drive a car! =:-O

Ack! I've been tagged. Well, I least I know what I'll be blogging about tomorrow. LOL

Mental note: Do not, ever, give Lara a lift in my car. ;)

1. Messy car.

2. Wear perfume (expensive) and jewelry even for the UPS man and the cat. Except that I don't have a cat. For the UPS man and the dog, I mean.

3. I never read the ending of a book first!! (Did you do that to mine????)

Beth and Colleen -- more members of the cluttered car club?! Sheesh!

And Colleen, as to #3, I actually didn't read ahead on THE REST FALLS AWAY--miracle! You recall I took it with me on vacation, and it was a loose paper printout, so I had to be careful or risk dropping it under my seat on the plane. No juggling around, I just took out small chunks of the ms at a time...in order, no less! ;-)

Our cars are always spotless--not so the house. And I don't deliberately crease spines, but sometimes it just happens.

But end-reading?? GAH! I don't even read the back-of-the-book blurbs, in case they spoil something!

Nice to meet you. I'm adding Kiss of Midnight to my next book order--it sounds right up my alley. :)

Er... to my calendar, that is. Darn it--it's not nice to tease me with a book that's not out yet.

Hi, Darla! :)

FINALLY . . . a kindred spirit who also appreciates the beauty that is a clean car. ::high-fives Darla!:: Perhaps it's the German in us, eh? (My mom is from Bavaria.)

Thanks for adding Kiss of Midnight to your watch list! It's still a few months out, but the good news is the second book will be out a month later--back to back releases! :)

Post a Comment
Kiss of Midnight

About me

  • Hey. Lara here, currently spending time on the dark side, writing a sexy vampire series for Bantam/Dell. Stay tuned for news on KISS OF MIDNIGHT, KISS OF CRIMSON, and the rest of the Midnight Breed!
My profile

SIGN UP FOR LARA'S
PRIVATE NEWSLETTER!
E-mail address:
Full Name: